Last Updated: 2/27/24
PART 1: ASF’s Privacy Practices with Respect to “FAME Information”
This Part 1 is intended to provide an explanation of ASF’s processing of FAME Information, and does not apply to FAME’s processing of personal information, including that which FAME collects and processes for the purpose of administering the Program or NexGen 529®, or via www.myalfondgrantinfofromfame.com, www.nextgenforme.com, or other FAME programs or websites. To review the privacy policies applicable to FAME’s processing of personal information, please visit www.famemaine.com/privacypolicies/.
- What is FAME Information? The State of Maine Department Health and Human Services, Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Data, Research, and Vital Statistics (“DRVS”) and FAME are parties to a memorandum of understanding pursuant to which DRVS shares certain personal information contained in vital records (i.e., records of births and deaths) for purposes of administering the Program. FAME may share certain categories of this information with ASF, as such information relates to recipients of the Alfond Grants, namely, an Alfond Grant recipient’s name, date of birth (or, alternatively, month and year of birth), hospital of birth, date of death, and the name and mailing address of the recipient’s mother.
FAME may also provide ASF with personal information that FAME has collected or received independent of DRVS, including new contact information (e.g., mailing address, phone number, and email address), or updates to the contact information, of Alfond Grant recipients or recipients’ parents, and information about whether a NextGen 529® account has been established for a recipient.
ASF is permitted to use the FAME Information described above only for the purposes set out in paragraph (b) below.
Importantly, Alfond Grant recipients, parents of such recipients, and NextGen 529® account owners with an Alfond Grant have the ability to “opt out” of FAME’s sharing of personal information with ASF. To learn more about FAME’s privacy practices and to access FAME’s opt-out form, please visit www.famemaine.com/privacypolicies/.
- For What Purposes Does ASF Use FAME Information? ASF uses the FAME Information solely for charitable, educational, and aspirational purposes, including associated research, and for communicating with parents of Alfond Grant recipients and recipients themselves (once they reach the age of majority) about the Program and different ways that recipients can add to their educational savings, including through NextGen 529® accounts. ASF will not use FAME Information for any commercial purposes.
Alfond Grant recipients or recipients’ parents may opt out of receiving communications from ASF by calling or emailing us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
- How does ASF Share FAME Information? ASF shares FAME Information only as follows:
- ASF may share FAME Information with certain agents and contractors, but only after (i) ASF has confirmed such agents and contractors have certain data security safeguards in place that are designed to ensure the security and confidentiality of FAME Information, to protect against anticipated threats or hazards to the integrity of FAME Information, and to protect against the unauthorized access to or use of FAME Information, and (ii) the agent or contractor has entered into a confidentiality agreement with ASF that, among other things, prohibits further sharing of the FAME Information. ASF requires all agents and contractors with which it shares FAME Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations regarding data security and privacy relating to FAME Information.
- ASF will share FAME Information with third parties if such sharing is required to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, for purposes of legal investigations, or to respond to requests from courts or other governmental bodies.
PART 2: ASF’s Privacy Practices with Respect to Personal Information Other Than FAME Information
- What Personal Information Does ASF Collect? The personal information we collect depends on how you interact with us and our Website, and may include:
- Device Information: When you visit our Website or interact with our digital advertisements, emails, or QR codes, we may learn information about your browser version and settings, your device type and settings, and other information, such as your IP address, mobile device identifier, and referring and exit pages.
- Website Usage Data: We may collect information about your interactions with our Website, including the pages you visit, links or buttons you click, and other similar interactions with the Website.
- Location Data: We may use various technologies to learn your non-precise geographic location, including by inferring your approximate location based on your IP address or other device information, which may depend on your device’s settings for location services.
- Contact Information: We will collect your name, email address, postal address, zip code, phone number, and similar information if you provide it to us, including, for example, when you sign up to receive our newsletter or other communications, or create a profile on the Website. If your child creates a profile on our Website, either with your permission or as part of a school activity (while supervised by school faculty), we will collect the information they provide as part of that process, including their name, grade, and a parent or guardian’s email address.
- Records of Communications: If you call, email, submit questions or comments via our “Contact” web form, or reach out to us via a social media platform, we may keep records of those conversations including any information you have provided to us in connection with such conversation.
- Submitted Content: We will collect any content that you or your child submits to us via the Website, email, postal mail, or in person, including, for example, your written feedback or testimonials, task lists that you create or your child creates using our online “MyPlan” toolkit, your responses to surveys, or other information, photos, or videos you submit or provide to us.
- How Does ASF Collect Your Personal Information? We may collect the information described above directly from you, from third parties, or through cookies or other automated means, as set forth below:
- Directly from You: Our Website contains certain web forms through which you are able to submit your information directly to us, and, should you choose to do so,will collect the information that you provide through such web forms. We will also collect any personal information that you provide to us via phone, postal mail, in person, or through other communication channels.
- From Third Parties: We work with service providers and partners that assist us with the operation and functionality of our Website and our organization more generally, including, for example, email service providers, data analytics providers, marketing services providers and others.
- Automatically via Your Device or Browser: As is true of most websites, whenever you visit our Website, or when you interact with our digital advertisements, emails, or QR codes, we automatically collect information from your device or browser, which may include device information, website usage data, and location data.
- How Does ASF Use Your Personal Information? We may use the information referenced in the section titled “What Personal Information Does ASF Collect?” above:
- In connection with our facilitation and maintenance of the Program, including, for example, to fulfill our commitment to funding the Program, to promote the benefits of pursuing higher education to Maine families, and to increase awareness of and participation in NextGen 529® as one method to save for higher education.
- To communicate with you, including to respond to your requests and inquiries.
- To allow you to use and access our Website, including, for example, the resources and toolkits available to parents and guardians, students, and teachers on our Website.
- To monitor and evaluate our performance, and the performance and functionality of our Website, including as part of our analytic practices, or otherwise to maintain or improve the content, security, and services offered through our Website.
- For marketing and advertising purposes, including digital, email, and direct-mail advertising and marketing, and including through partnerships with social media platforms and internet search engines, and for purposes of measuring the reach and effectiveness of our advertising and marketing efforts.
- To investigate any suspected misuse of the Program or our Website; to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and respond to requests from courts or other governmental bodies; and to protect or defend the rights, property, personal safety, and interests of ASF, our staff, the public, or the interests of our third-party partners and service providers.
- How Does ASF Share Personal Information with Third Parties. We may share personal information with third parties for certain purposes. For example, we may share information with:
- FAME: We may, from time to time, share new or updated contact information with FAME as reasonably needed for ASF to facilitate and maintain the Program and for FAME to administer the Program.
- Service Providers and Partners: We may share personal information with third-party service providers and partners so that they may provide us with their services and assist us with the operations of our organization. For example, we may share information with data analytics providers to analyze the activities taking place on our Website (among other analyses of ASF’s operations).
- Other Third Parties: We and our third-party service providers and partners will disclose specific individual information if we or they reasonably believe it is necessary to investigate any suspected misuse of our Website and to prevent fraudulent activity; to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and respond to requests from courts or other governmental bodies; and to protect or defend the rights, property, personal safety, and interests of ASF, our staff, the public, or the interests of our third-party service providers.
- With Your Consent: We will share your personal information with other third parties with your consent or at your direction.
- Your Privacy Choices. You can control how we collect and use your personal information in the following ways:
- Emails: You can unsubscribe from our email communications by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of such email, or by calling or emailing us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
- Mail: You can unsubscribe from our direct mail communications by calling or emailing us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
- Location Data: You can disable location-based services on your mobile device or web browser by adjusting the settings on your device or browser. This will prevent our Website from accessing your location data.
- Cookies: You can refuse to accept third-party cookies by following your browser or device’s instructions. If you do not accept cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Website.
- Security. Although we use measures to protect your personal information in compliance with any applicable law, we cannot guarantee the security of information provided over the Internet or stored in our databases.
- Retention of Personal Information. We will retain your personal information for the length of time needed to fulfill the purposes outlined in the section titled “How Does ASF Use Your Personal Information?” above unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
- Links to Other Websites; Social Media Platforms. Our Website may contain links to websites owned and operated by third parties, including links to FAME and social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third-party websites and platforms, which may be different from our privacy practices. We encourage you to review the terms, policies, and/or settings of these third-party websites and social media platforms so that you understand how they collect, use, and share your information.
We welcome your comments and questions. Please contact us:
- By email: [email protected]
- By telephone: (207) 347-8638
- By mail: Alfond Scholarship Foundation, 482 Congress Street, Suite 303, Portland, Maine 04101