Become a Champion!
Mr. Alfond’s vision was for the Alfond Grant to have both practical and aspirational benefits for families – and lead to a more prosperous future for Maine.
From the very inception of the program, he hoped that others would join him in this effort – starting with families, but also including partners across the state. Businesses and non-profits, schools and hospitals, service organizations and community leaders all have a role to play in the future success of this program, and of the state.
There are lots of ways to step up and be involved, and better yet, it’s easy! Become a Champion today!
Here are some of the kinds of things you can do:
- Share information about the Alfond Grant with your constituents (students, children/families, employees)
- Distribute collateral materials
- Follow us on Facebook and encourage your families to do the same
- Share a link to MyAlfondGrant and our MyPlan tool
- Encourage families to update contact information with us
- Consider building it in as part of your “intake” process
- Whether you are a business, a non-profit organization, a hospital or an educational institution – if you have employees, make payroll deduction for college savings part of the suite of benefits you offer.
- Consider making an employer contribution to those who open for a new baby prior to the child’s 1st
- Invite a representative of ASF [and FAME] to come to meet with your families or employees to share information directly and answer questions
- Consider making a financial contribution to help support outreach in and to particular communities, to incentivize the kinds of behaviors we know lead to good educational outcomes, or to encourage families to make their own contributions to their children’s education.
A number of Maine businesses have made specific commitments to partner with us by providing payroll deductions and/or matching contributions for college savings. Thank you to our early partners- Unum, Cianbro, BIW, WEX, Jackson Labs, Geiger, Hussey Seating, MaineGeneral Health, MaineHealth and UNE!Businesses partner with us on one of three levels: